Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Working a Full Time Job While Selling on eBay

 

Many of you out there have a full-time job outside the home and sell on eBay in your spare time. Others have been selling on eBay for a while full-time and may need to go back to the 9-5 for whatever reason - benefits, more predictable income, or saving for retirement. Antonette recently asked this question on my eBay Seller Facebook Group:


"Does anyone work a conventional job as well? I had to go back to the 9-5 because my husband was hurt on the job and didnt recover well from his surgery. I am having a hard time getting things posted. I need the ebay income as well. Just wondering if you have any advice, best practices."

There were some great answers!

Becky said, "Maybe break it down, like do photos for 20 listings 1 night, then weigh them, then sit down an list them all. You can schedule your listings so that 1 to 3 a night go live. Then while those are going live each night repeat the process."

Sharon said, " First, I try to list at least one item per day. Then at least something new is getting out there. Second, I am more selective about what I buy. I don't buy something unless I think it will be a $20 profit, and I shoot for a $30 profit. Since I don't have a lot of time to list, this helps. For sourcing, I do some on Facebook Grops so I can be at home or wherever when I do it. Otherwise, I go out one morning every couple of weeks to garage sales and thrift stores. I also ask friends and family for inventory and that works well (obviously sometimes my profit on those items is lower, but I didn't have to spend time sourcing them). I tend to have about 110 items listed at one time."

Suzanne said, "One thing that I have seen others do, is let the kids be involved in the eBay process. They could help find things to sell, take photos, learn to research, eventually learn to list etc, that way it could be a family project that generates income. Great family time together also!"

Nancy said, " I work full time. I shop and photograph on weekends and then can list each night a few things, or depending on time and how many items I may list on the weekends as well. I have grown children though so I do have more free time after work."

Ashley said, "I hired a virtual assistant for selling a few days ago. I also work full-time with an assistant. I can't do it all. When you delegate (your kids, spouse, whatever you have) you share the work and the wealth."

I honestly don't know how some of you juggle a full-time job, children, and eBay. Kudos to all of you for making it work.

Related Articles:

Hiring Help for a Small eBay Business

5 Ways to Save Time and Money Printing Shipping Labels from Your eBay Account

eBay Seller Success Story $6,000 in Sales in 30 Days



No comments: