Tuesday, December 8, 2009

New eBay Sellers - ALWAYS Use Delivery Confirmation!


I have been doing quite a bit of Christmas shopping on eBay and my packages are starting to arrive. I am shocked to see how many items I have received that do not have delivery confirmation or any type of tracking on them. Some of these items cost over $75.

I feel compelled to say {SHOUT}, "Always put Delivery Confirmation on your items!" 3 reasons.

1) If the customer inquires about their item, you can send the DC# and they can check the progress.

2) If the customer claims they did not receive the package, you can check the DC# on USPS.com and verify that is was delivered. If the customer files a claim, you will win if you have the DC#.

3)Dishonest eBay buyers have figured out the system. They know that if a seller ships an item without DC, it cannot be tracked. The buyer can file a claim for non-receipt and get their money back through Paypal - even if they really did receive the item. The seller will be out the merchandise and the package. In other words, there are rip-off artists on eBay waiting for you to send out something without tracking, so they can claim they didn't receive it.

eBay sellers, please please protect yourselves. Mail gets lost and there are dishonest people out there who know the system better than you do and they will take advantage of you. Spend a few extra cents per package and use Delivery Confirmation - it will save you time, money, and headaches.

If you do your shipping through Paypal, Delivery Confirmation will be included. If you use another shipping method, you can order DC forms here, or pick them up at your post office.

Related articles:

How to Get Free Shipping Supplies

Shipping Tip for Mailing Gift Cards

How to Charge for Shipping on eBay Auctions


Happy Selling!



Work at Home with Doba

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Good suggestion but I shipped a package not long ago internationally with a tracking number. A dispute was opened because the person never received the package and the tracking number was not updated at USPS....who knows what they did with it? Paypal decided in their favor and I ended up losing about $75...even though I had a tracking number on the package! Very frustrating....Merry Christmas! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristin... the exact SAME thing happened to me a couple months ago. Paypal is not fair sometimes....

Unknown said...

Thank you! I just started selling on Ebay last month. I'm a stay at home mom and I'm praying this will provide a full time income for my family.

I have been selling items w/o delivery confirmation. So far the people I've sold to have been honest. I'll definitely be using delivery confirmation for my shipments tomorrow.

Thanks, again! Kendra

Paula said...

Amen, Sister! Delivery Confirmation rules! I wouldn't ship without it. When you print your labels through Paypal its only an extra 19 cents. Thats not much to pay for peace of mind.
(International packages cannot be tracked unless they are going to a major destination city)

Suzanne said...

I sent something on Nov 12th with delivery confirmation. This particular package has been floating between Pittsburgh and New York (back and forth!) ever since. The post office said, "It must have a bad barcode." Thankfully I had more of that item and just shipped another one, this one went straight to the buyer in 2 days. Weird. I always use DC.