Tuesday, May 19, 2009

eBay Sellers- What to do When You Ship the Wrong Item


If this hasn't happened to you yet, it probably will. Maybe you were in a rush doing your shipping. Maybe your child interrupted you. Or the phone rang. Or your computer went down. What ever the reason, it is not an uncommon occurrence for an eBay seller to ship the wrong item. I did it last week.

I received an email from my customer stating that although the shipping time was excellent, I had shipped the wrong item. Here is a tip for you: When this happens to you, remain calm. We are all just people here. Things happen, and you can work it out.

I have learned over 6 years and 18,000 items, the best way to handle this situation is NOT to immediately offer a refund. Here is what I do:

1) Email the customer ASAP and apologize for the error. Don't make excuses. Just apologize for the inconvenience. You made the error, plain and simple. Own it. What is done is done and now you need to fix it.

2) Ask the customer how he would like to resolve the situation - don't give any suggestions. By asking an open-ended questions, you empower the customer in this situation. In many cases, the customer's solution is less costly than a full refund. I have had customers decide that they like the "wrong" item and say they will just keep it. Others only want a partial refund. Of course if the customer's solution is completely ridiculous, you will have to continue to negotiate. Here is an example of the email I send (feel free to copy it):

"Dear Mr. Customer,

Thank you for contacting us about your eBay item. We apologize for the error in processing your order. How would you like to resolve this situation? We are dedicated to 100% customer satisfaction. Please let us know your thoughts on how we can make this transaction acceptable to you."

3) Continue to negotiate a fair solution to the customer's satisfaction.

4) One a resolution is reached, act quickly. If you both agree to a refund, process it immediately. If you agree to send a replacement item, ship it quickly. Don't let these situations linger on. The customer has already been inconvenienced. Just take care of it.

5) There will be cases where you cannot win. The customer will be mad and NOTHING will satisfy him. Accept that mistakes are a part of doing business and resolve it to the best of your ability and move on. If he leaves you a negative, there isn't anything you can do. One negative never put an eBay seller out of business. The more you sell, the more likely you are to have this happen. It is part of doing business.

If you are in this business long enough, mistakes are not a matter of if but a matter of when. The key to success on eBay is how you handle a mistake and the damage control afterward. Have you ever shipped the wrong item to a customer, and what was the outcome?

Happy Selling,


7 comments:

barterbetty said...

Suzanne, ONE mistake out of 18,000 transactions? You mean you AREN'T perfect? LOL. GREAT POST & ADVICE! Give yourself a HUGE hug and pat yourself on the back!

Paula said...

THANKS for posting this.
I have not shipped the wrong item...yet, but I can see how it would be easy to do.
Great info

SHOPitLA said...

i totally agree with #2. putting the ball in the customers court definitely helps alleviate any anger that they might have!

great blog! keep the tips coming!


-JL
http://ebaystorelosangeles.blogspot.com/

djeans said...

And I thought I was the only one. I sent the wrong top to a lady a few months ago. She let me know it was wrong and I sent the right one immediately, but she won't send the first one back, even though I told her I would pay for shipping. The wrong one wasn't even the size she wanted. I guess some people really do want something for nothing. Is there something I should do in this case, or just eat the loss?

Lori McAulliffe said...

I have got one that happened to us that we still cannot figure out.

We shipped an empty box via FedEx over the Christmas Holiday in 2009.

How we did this I will never know, but if the customer is right and we can assume they are 100% of the time, we did.

All I can think is shipper (my hubby) got sidetracked and somehow thought he had placed item in box and then taped it shut.

Oh well, it was one of the most interesting errors we have made in 9 years and 15,000 transactions.

Helen said...

I am new to selling on Ebay and today I received an e-mail from the buyer asking if I have the right address. Oh my! Saying I got nervous would be a HUGE understatement. I checked the tracking numbers and it looks like I just made an error when entering the tracking numbers into Ebay. I sent (or I REALLY HOPE I sent) the right items to the right places. The wait is killing me now.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for posting this article! At least I know now that it is inevitable and not uncommon for Ebay sellers. I still felt/feel so stupid and guilty. :(

threeicys said...

I am in my second month selling - How about this one - I mailed the right item to the wrong customer.Said customer is now getting two of the same item. There is no more reserve and it made me sick that I can not fix the situation. Your article has settled my nerves and I can now address the problem without coming across frazzled. THANK YOU for sharing your sound advice, it is greatly appreciated!