Wednesday, January 15, 2014

But I Figured Nobody Would Want That!

I finally got on the technology bandwagon and changed over from DIRECTV to a Roku. I already have Amazon Prime, so I can use the Amazon Instant Video account I'm already paying for, in addition to the free channels on Roku. The problem was my technology was, how can I say this, prehistoric.

In the family room, I had a ginormous 27 inch TV with a picture tube - and only one cable input on the back. The DIRECTV box had been configured through an DVD/VHS player. Hey, it worked fine for many years, why change it? Because DIRECTV charges such a high monthly fee for terrible programming. A Roku costs around $50, and you can get free programming or something like NetFlix or Hulu for about $8 a month. New year, new plan.

 This old TV was my Craigslist curb alert yesterday.

So I went to Target, got the Roku box, and was ready to hook it up. The Target associate assured me it would work through the DVD player and I wouldn't have to get a new TV. Why buy something you don't really need, right? So I hook it up.....nothing. Blank screen. I called my personal help desk, my 17 year old son, and he couldn't see that I was doing anything wrong. Then I called the Roku 1-800 number and got an overseas customer service rep, who was reading a script and was useless. Then I went on the Roku.com help forums, and some very patient people asked me a bunch of questions about the model of DVD player, inputs on the back, etc. Apparently, my old DVD/VHS combo (made in 2003) had some kind of blocking technology that was interfering with the Roku. Ok, really? This was supposed to be easy.

I ended up having to buy a new TV because technology had surpassed my old crappy set up.We got everything working, finally,and I have a pile of dead tech on my kitchen table. The eBay DNA kicked in... I went on eBay and looked up the DVD/VHS player, only to see that the model I have sells for between $60 and $80. Sweet. That bad boy went up for sale yesterday.


I called DIRECTV to cancel my service, and they only wanted the access cards back, not the receiver boxes. Apparently, mine are too old and obsolete and the CSR said to either throw them away, donate, or recycle. Again, thinking eBay...the DIRECTV DVR box we have sells for about $50. Again, really?

I was really thinking nobody would want this junk. Oh, and the remote controls sell, too. This business amazes me every single day. I don't know why people want obsolete technology, and I don't need to know. Maybe buying for parts? So put this on your list of things to look for at garage sales, thrift stores, and estate sales.

What have you sold lately that you can't believe anyone would want? Please post in the comments below. Have a great day on eBay!

Related Articles:

Vintage Flip Clock Radios

Vintage Rolodex Sell for Over $50 on eBay

List of Vintage Items to Sell on eBay

5 comments:

TangieEvans said...

Hubby and I own several Rental properties and the exiting tenants always leave behind their Directv Receivers and Remotes. Chi-Ching. First, we always call Directv to make that the receiver is not still on a payment plan. If it's not free-and-clear, the ebay buyers can't activate them (bummer!) So if their clear we list them. Also the remotes can for for up to $20 New and the old ones we list in Lots of 5. Chi-Ching!

Kristi said...

My first eBay sale was the stock radio out of my minivan (back in 2002). I couldn't believe anyone would have wanted it, but it sold for around $75! The idea that almost anything sells is dangerous. I won't let my family throw anything out until I check the value (or lack there of) on eBay.

1 Buddha's Mom said...

A manual from my Jeep Liberty.

Natalie said...

We had 3 DirecTV receivers/DVRs that I tried to sell on EBay last spring. We called DirecTV first and they told us we were free to do whatever we wished with them. We called again to verify this with a second rep. I listed them and had the buyers call DirecTV to verify with the serial numbers that they would be able to activate them once they received them. Well, once they received them (3 separate buyers) Directs wouldn't activate any if them and I had to refund the buyers. So tread carefully.

Lisa B said...

the empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls still amazes me!