Tuesday, August 6, 2013

eBay Blocks 15,000 Sellers from Listing


eBay instituted a new policy today regarding sellers whose Performance Standards are below minimum. Many sellers who have 4.8 out of 5 DSRs and occasionally see this message are being blocked from listing. Even though a buyer may leave you a positive feedback, he may ding your DSRs for any reason he chooses, even if unwarranted. If you were affected, and are blocked out and can't list, here is what is going on per an email from customerhelp@ebay.com:

Status:     Published
Published date: 08/06/2013
Updated:     08/06/2013

Increase impact of Below Standard ECGs

Details

•Each month we have an existing Below Standard cycle. We apply ECGs (consequences) to sellers who are BST.

•On 8/5 we have applied more severe actions (selling blocks and limits) to more sellers than we have in the past.This change to the standards consequences was a planned change, however this was inadvertently run a week earlier than planned.

1.We have move the worst 15k sellers to Seg D (Selling Block) Issue 181

(Yes, they have blocked 15,000 sellers from listing!!)

2.We have apply Seg C (75% limit) to all Segment B below standard sellers. This can be identified with Issue 361

General FAQ's

Why Do I have Selling Limits

•All sellers on eBay are required to meet minimum performance standards, which measures how well a seller is meeting buyer expectations. The goal is to ensure sellers are delivering both quality items and excellent customer service. Currently, you aren’t meeting the performance standards based on the rate of 1s and 2s you have received on your Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).

•We’ve applied a selling limit to slow your selling activity, giving you an opportunity to identify and change the selling practices that may be failing to meet buyer expectations. Once you have shown improvement and are able to meet the Detailed Seller Ratings requirements, your limit will be removed.

When will the limits be removed?

•The limits placed on your account will not be removed, but will be raised significantly so as not to heavily impact your account once you are able to meet the minimum standards, and your seller level has changed to ‘Above Standard.’ You can track how well you are doing in your Seller Dashboard, within the Performance tab. You may also want to monitor how you are doing on a monthly basis by checking your 12-month trending data.

How long do I have to improve my DSRs before I get any further consequences? / How long do these consequences last?

•Sellers should immediately identify and adjust any selling practices that may not be meeting buyer expectations, which resulted in receiving low Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs). Sellers who do not work to meet performance standards each month after falling to ‘Below Standard’ should expect heightened consequences – including a limit or block on selling activity.

 How can I improve if you place a limit on me?
 
•Although selling limits slow down your selling activity, you are allowed to continue to sell. Our goal is to slow the pace of your sales to provide you an opportunity to adjust your selling practices and work towards immediate improvement. Let’s work together by determining what you can do so we can help you get out of this.

Do the selling limits include shipping fees?

•Yes, shipping is counted if it's part of the total amount when the item is considered sold and a transaction.

There are 2 ways to deal with eBay's policies - quit your eBay business and go sell somewhere else, or adapt and become a better seller. Check out these resources designed to help you grow your ecommerce business. If we are going to survive on eBay, we have to adapt to their rules and policies.





11 comments:

The DSRS of our lives said...

They ran it a week early and they don't think that should be rolled back?

First I have an issue with they didn't give a general warning to EVERYONE that they were tightening the standards.

Then I have an issue with them "inadvertently" running it a week early, killing people's businesses and not thinking "hey maybe we should roll this back and give them a week to get straightened out".

THEY (ebay) will say "well it's been the policy for a long time".

Do they never think of their buyers and sellers as human beings??

I know the answer to that one...they don't. cretins. that's what they all are.

Rich Vernadeau said...

Would also urge any ebay seller impacted by this to write letters to the editor (or email) their local newspaper, contact investigative reporters at local TV stations, of course blog and Topix Forum about your bad ebay experience and about the unfairness of this purge.

Unknown said...

Just how do you have any control over the DSR'S? I received a positive feedback but got dinged on comunication once - not sure why either. And I don't see that there is anything I could do about it. How do you even find out who dinged you? To complicated and I'll just have to cross my fingers here. I would certainly be freaked out if this became a problem for me. I could see how competition could just ruin you if they wanted.

~Erica~ said...

I had my account completely "restricted" for selling due to ONE dishonest buyer back in March. I find this completely ridiculous -- this "evaluation" is a complete joke. Do they even look at the cases or the situations around them? In my case they buyer claimed "empty box" - which the USPS denied and backed me! Worse is that ebay found me "not at fault" for 6 of the 9 listings, yet they were all in THE SAME BOX! I appealed the 3 that I was found "guilty" yet, surprise surprise - they were denied. Now 5 months later you BAN me from selling? Yet "I'm welcome to buy still"...so I'm not good enough to sell, but you still want me to buy? Yeah, thanks...but no thanks.

Also, the "customer service" department (can it even be called that?) is REPREHENSIBLE. I spoke to an ebay CS rep yesterday (8/6) and was told "this is a common problem right now, I am escalating your issue" and was told that I should be receiving a message from ebay. Today (8/7) I called back and spoke to by far the rudest CS representative I have encountered in my entire life! She informed me that my issue was not escalated and the rep yesterday lied to me. She then refused to escalate my issue. I then asked for her supervisor and was DENIED! Never, ever, ever, ever have I had a "customer service" experience like this!

Ginny said...

I got hit with this. I'm so mad to because the problem happened over 6 months ago. According to my dashboard the past 3 months are perfect. I've been watching it, I've been good for over 6 months. I know exactly what 2 sales made my stars go down. My feedback is 100% by the way, no negatives at all. Right now, I have 22 listings and I'm blocked. I'm so frustrated and annoyed. Thanks for posting this, I thought it was my account specifically.

Rich Vernadeau said...

Fortunately ebay is not the only game in town, as many sellers are finding out. Etsy is gaining a lot of unhappy ebay sellers, so is Bonanza and eBid.

Unknown said...

Erica, the same exact thing happened to me. They were putting in an appeal on my behalf. Never happened... called back and the rep said there is nothing he can do. Ugh! Over a 2.01% in shipping time. Seriously!

Rich Vernadeau said...

Ebay's treatment of their small sellers has grown more oppressive and downright reprehensible increasingly every year since 2008. Thousands are leaving already of their own accord.

Elizabeth said...

I have 100% feedback but lost top rated status because of shipping charges. So frustrating, the post office sets the charges, NOT ME! The only way I see around that is to overinflate my price, assuming everything is shipping cross country and do "free" shipping.

Frustrated.

Unknown said...

I'm below standard. I got a 1 star item as described because a hoodie didnt fit a woman (I listed all the measurements too) I wonder if I will be blocked soon. My hubby and I talked and we will be wrapping things up wi ebay soon. Amazon and etsy have picked up for me. Disgusting

bestco said...

I am also a very unhappy seller who is disgusted with E-bay. I have been selling for 7 years with a 100% positive rating and have never gotten negative feedback. Because of a few cancelled orders and opened cases that were resolved and left the buyers extremely happy with my service, I have been dropped from Top Seller and am close to being restricted. The cases were opened because the buyer had no way of communicating with me unless they opened a case. I am going elsewhere to sell my items and will be closing my E-bay store. If enough good sellers leave they may get the message. Frankly I think the people at the head of E-bay are too stupid to even know that they are killing the brand. I not only will not sell on E-bay but I won't be purchasing either.