Sunday, January 8, 2012

What Should I Sell on Amazon, and Where do I find It?

I receive this question daily from both readers and clients. There are infinite answers to this question depending on many different factors. I wanted to share a few items that I was successful selling on Amazon this holiday season, just to show how diverse your product line can be. Also keep in mind that I am a real person out there selling, just like you, every day.

K-Y Touch Massage Variety Pack. I found this on clearance at grocery stores last summer. My cost was between $5 and $9. This item sold on Amazon for between $29 and $32. I sold 50 of these between August 1 and December 31:


Here is the info on my last sale, so you can see the selling price:


I was also able to find this item online and bought out the seller. (Not on Amazon, another site.) This product is now discontinued. I was the only seller for most of the 4 months I offered this item for sale. Profit on this item averaged $13. Total profit $13 x 50 = $650. You can click here to see that this item is currently unavailable on Amazon.



Sonic Scrubber Power Cleaning Tool. I found these on clearance at grocery stores, hardware stores, and home improvement stores for between $6 and $13. Selling price was up to $44.95. I sold 45 of them between August 1 and October 31:


Here is the info on my last sale, so you can see the selling price:

My average profit on this item was $24. Total profit was $24 x 45 = $1,080. You can click here to see that this item is currently unavailable on Amazon. This product has been discontinued which explains the exorbitant price buyers paid.

Black and Decker Rechargeable Spotlight. I found these last fall at Tuesday Morning for $14.99. These were in the "boring automotive section," but because the brand is Black and Decker, I took a chance. Selling price was between $42 and $46. I sold 13 of them between September 1 and December 31:


Here is the info on my last sale, so you can see the selling price:


Average profit per item was $24. Total profit $24 x 13 = $312.

So as you can see, selling on Amazon FBA is much more than just selling books or selling items from Big Lots and competing against other sellers for a few dollars profit. My profit on these 3 items alone was $2,042 over a 4 month period - and this is just 3 items! In fact, these 3 products paid my mortgage for 2 months. That is how exciting selling on Amazon can be!

Learn more about selling on Amazon by taking a class designed to help you make money with the world's largest online marketplace. The grocery category offers unlimited opportunities to source local products and sell them to customers nationwide. Register for The ABCs of Selling Groceries on Amazon and learn how to make thousands of dollars a month selling products from your local grocery store.


6 comments:

Lori McAulliffe said...

Thank you Suzanne for opening our minds to different places to look for items to sell. My gross (less shipping) for Amazon in 2011 was $5347. All I did was start listing from our excess inventory from eBay in Amazon. Most of my inventory is books, mainly cookbooks. However I also found some items laying around the house too and sold them for a nice profit versus a garage sale. I am still learning . . . . and I look forward to more than tripling my 2011 sales!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

The K-Y Touch was a great find but I'm wondering what the grocery checker thought when you purchased so many at one time. lol!

Suzanne A. Wells said...

Sarah, if asked by the grocery clerk I said I made newlywed gift baskets!

lee said...

Hey

Can you stop promoting selling on amazon so it does become a doomed place like eBay due to extreme competition..? Even if you don't make a few extra $$ by selling lists it will repay you in the long run thank you

Suzanne A. Wells said...

Hello, Lee - no, I won't stop promoting selling on Amazon, eBay, or any other online venue. There is enough to go around for everyone. I am flattered that you think my little blog of tips here is making that huge of an impact on the Amazon Marketplace. I think we will have to agree to disagree here - there are endless opportunities to sell online, and if you feel threatened by a blog about Amazon, perhaps you are in the wrong business.

Peace and blessings to you, Lee.